Monday, September 13, 2010

No Holey Walls Here!

One of the topics that I’ve been really interested in exploring further is how to make your rental feel more like a home. These days it seems harder and harder for people to purchase a home of their own. After the bubble burst and so many homes foreclosed, more people are finding themselves renting again. 

As someone who loves decorating, I often struggle with how much to actually do to my rental so that it isn’t too much to undo later. Most people avoid painting since they usually have to paint the walls back later, or risk being charged upon move out. Some lease agreements are also really strict about putting holes in the walls and hanging pictures.

I’ve gone both ways in my past rentals. I have painted the walls in places that I knew I’d be staying for a while, hung shelves and larger items that left relatively large holes which I had to patch later. How much to do is something you have to evaluate on a case-by-case basis and decide how much you are willing to take on.

After renting for so many years I've learned that you don’t have to sacrifice a designer home just because you don't own it.

Our current rental was built in the 50’s and the walls are pretty old. I’ve tried to limit how much we hang with nails and haven’t yet decided whether or not to paint (although I am leaning toward painting more and more – now to convince Kevin!).

I recently found a new “tool” that I love which makes hanging things really easy and doesn’t damage the walls. For some of the smaller/lighter items, I used Command Strips by 3M. If you haven’t tried them yet, I would highly recommend you do. They are an inexpensive, clean, and super easy to use alternative to nails and a great way to achieve a designer look without damaging the walls.
Check out the 3M website for printable coupons.


Happy Hanging!


Below is one of my Command Strip projects in action. Simply follow the directions on the package and presto, a pretty bathroom wall vignette.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment