Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Entry Update

Okay I know I've been a bit MIA, but I have good reason, we've been busy with wedding planning things. More to come on that soon.

In the mean time, I'm sure you'd like to see what I decided to do with our little entry dilemma that I wrote about a few weeks ago. It isn't 100% finished (but then again is anything ever really done?), but it is a vast improvement from where I started.

Before
The space is small and narrow because it's right next to our back door and in our kitchen/breakfast nook, so I needed to find an entry table that wouldn't stick out too far. We also needed to keep Zeus' bowls in this area as there isn't another place in our small home to keep them. 
 After weeks of searching, I decided that I wasn't going to find a console that was narrow enough, short enough and would allow for the dog bowls to sit underneath, so I decided to hang a floating shelf above the wicker drawers that I already had there. This gave me a place for cookbooks and candles and a bowl to set keys and the mail. 
After
As for Zeus' bowls, I hated the way they looked in that wire holder, and so I found a basket with a plywood bottom, cut two holes in it and spray painted it green. The bowls sit down into the basket and are now a little more of a decorative item rather than just ugly-old dog bowls.
Basket Before - ($7.99 at Ross)
Nifty New Dog Bowl Holder After 
Lastly, I got a glass, orb terrarium (been eying them for a long time and got one for Christmas this year!) with some cool air plants and hung it in the corner above the shelf. I think it was the perfect finishing touch and added a natural, living element to the space.
I'd like to paint the walls or add a painted wallpaper treatment to the kitchen walls eventually, but for now, I'm pretty happy with how this little project turned out!


1 comment:

  1. I love the use of the basket Elena....end the shelf.....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete