Saturday, October 16, 2010

Inspired by Color

One of the questions that I hear most often from people when it comes to design is, "I don't know how to pick colors." If there's one thing I can say about myself as a designer, it's that I'm not afraid of color. In fact, I LOVE color in design.

When I start a design, I like to find an inspiration piece pull from. This could be a piece of artwork, fabric, photograph or any other item that I'm drawn to that has a pleasing color palette. I recommend this technique to people a lot when they ask me to help them figure out where to start in choosing colors.

With that in mind, I happened to come across this super-cool website while surfing this new (well at least new to me) world of blogs called Polyvore. If you aren't familiar, it's an online tool that allows you to create mood/style/inspiration boards using items from the web. It's really easy to use and seriously addicting for someone like me who enjoys designing. (A new guilty pleasure!!!)

I found this pretty pin board on a cool DIY blog called Red in Oz.  It's homemade using fabric from Anna Maria Horner (another great resource for my files!).


Later, I came across the Sundra Blossom bedding at Anthropologie and that was it, let the designing begin! I've been glued to Polyvore creating a fun mood board for a girl's room for the last two nights!


I think it turned out pretty cool. How about you?


Check out a few of the products that brought the design together:

Breeze-Blown Bouquet Curtain






 
Whorled Trapunto Rug







Knightsbridge Armchair by John Lewis







Metro White Chest







Bungalow 5 Hourglass Side Table







Hoopla Teal Table Lamp







Carpenter Lamp







Langham Desk







Chelsea Swivel Chair







Room and Board Vintage Presstype

No comments:

Post a Comment