Monday, February 27, 2012

A Touch of Whimsy

When I started planning the decor for our wedding last year, I came across this photo and absolutely fell in love with the parasol "ceiling" over the dance floor. I knew that somehow, someway, we needed to incorporate this design element into our decor.

I also flipped when we saw the movie Meet the Fockers because they had the most gorgeous backyard wedding reception with hanging parasols! It was very Florida-hippy-chic! .
(this isn't the best shot, but the only one I could find)
Once our venue was booked and I knew where the dance floor and market lighting would go, I designed a plan for our parasols and placed an order with Luna Bazaar in varying shapes, sizes and colors to match our decor.
(the plan)

Next, Kevin screwed brass hooks into the handles of each and used pliers to bend the hook into a loop. This allowed the set-up crew to simply attach each parasol in place on the cable supporting the market lighting with a zip tie. Easy up, easy down!



I couldn't have been happier with the outcome. The parasols added a sense of whimsy over the dance floor. They swayed softly in the breeze as if dancing along with us and created a sort of faux-ceiling overhead which made for beautiful photos.



*Photos of our wedding by Emily Faulknor Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment